Friday, June 5, 2009

Frustration

Sometimes I feel so clueless when it comes to diabetes. In this modern day and age it can be really frustrating realizing that even with my short history of studying diabetes I can know more about it than my husband's doctor. I read something on the internet about someone with type 1 and bring it up with my husband and quite often he says it doesn't apply to him or that his blood sugar doesn't react that way. Part of the reason is because he's not on a pump and most online type 1 diabetics are. But it's also just because diabetes acts a little different in everyone.

My mother in law worried about her son constantly as he grew up and he doesn't want me to be like that. But when I know so little of the disease and his Mom says one thing and he totally pushes away from it I'm not sure if I should worry or not. I don't want to be his mom at all. But I also realize he's a risk taker and it scares me not knowing if this is his inward push against the disease or a reality check.

I don't want diabetes to be the center of our lives, and it's not, but I also don't want to just ignore it and be clueless the rest of my life. Most importantly, I don't want it hurting his quality of life in the future. Balance... it's so hard sometimes when there is so little knowledge of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment